The Science and Technology Program Co-Chairs for the IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR) 2017 invite applications for volunteers to serve on the Program Committee (PC). This year we are continuing to make this an open call, with the goal of good coverage of areas of ISMAR work, a more-inclusive community, and increased transparency of the review process. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
A position on the PC is one of great importance and responsibility. Members are responsible for handling the review of the papers that are assigned to them and deciding, in conjunction with the Program Chairs, which papers will be accepted. A member of the PC exerts significant influence over the review process, both in the choice of reviewers and in writing the meta-review and comments. Each member can also provide opinions and vote on other papers at the PC meeting. Thus, the PC has a strong influence over the final program, much more so than an ordinary reviewer.
How To Apply
Please send the following brief set of materials by 15 January 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your name, affiliation, and job title.
- Your main area(s) of AR/MR focus. Please be succinct with your list.
- Any prior reviewing work you have done for conferences and/or journals.
Please use the subject line: “ISMAR PC Volunteer Application” when submitting your materials.
Details about the PC Commitment
A successful candidate must commit to the following:
- Handling approximately 8 to 12 papers.
- Declaring conflicts and bid for papers (16–19 March)
- Assigning reviewers to these papers (21–25 March) and making certain those reviews get done (30 April).
- Reading (but not fully reviewing) each paper assigned to you.
- For each each paper assigned to you, leading a web-based discussion with your reviewers.
- Reviewing approximately 4 to 6 borderline papers as a primary or secondary reviewer (14–26 May).
- Writing a meta-review (29 May) for each paper to be discussed at the PC meeting you are assigned to (a summary of the reviews plus your own opinion, generally a few paragraphs long).
- Attending the PC meeting (31 May — 1 June). Because of the wide geographic distribution of PC members, we will hold a globally distributed meeting at three sites: in the US, NZ or Japan, and Germany. PC members must travel to one of these sites.
- Updating your meta-reviews (7 June), based on the discussions and decisions at the PC meeting.
- Shepherding conditionally accepted papers and making sure that the requested revisions are performed in a satisfactory manner (1 July).
- All PC members are expected to attend ISMAR 2017 in Nantes, France (9–13 October); however, exceptions can be granted for special circumstances.
The ISMAR conference will reimburse travel costs to the local PC meeting up to a maximum of USD 1,500. We will help to coordinate travel and accommodations with you in order to keep costs as low as possible.
If you (or anyone in your organization) submit a paper to ISMAR 2017, you will not be assigned such papers and you will have to leave the room at the PC meeting during the discussion of any such paper. This is to avoid conflict of interest problems.
Thank you for your consideration, and we look forward to your participation in ISMAR!
Wolfgang Broll, Holger Regenbrecht, J. Edward Swan II
ISMAR 2017 S&T Program Co-Chairs